For treatment of this disease, such medicines are prescribed which would enable Melanocyte to continue to form MELANINE pigment, which is essential to maintain the body in its natural color. The best period of life for effective and efficacious treatment is from the age of 4 years till the age of 65 years. The treatment is only oral, and there is no local applications.
Along with prescribed medicine for treating this ailment, sun exposure plays the most important part in the cure of disease. The patient should take sun-exposure by allowing the sun beams to fall directly on the white patch between 10.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. for at least 10-15 minutes. The result of effective treatment is visible within 20 to 25 days, small dots of skin color appear on the area of patch, which gradually grow bigger and bigger till the complete white patch is eliminated and the skin regains its original color.
If sun exposure is not feasible, particularly during the rainy season, then, artificial treatment of Ultra-Violet Rays therapy is applied, which generally proves equally efficacious treatment. Sun-beams of aforesaid therapy does not have any side-effects. Coconut oil is to be applied twice daily on white spots.
Leucoderma is in no way deadly, because it is not infectious but it certainly tarnishes the beauty of human body. It is only a cosmetic problem, where there is a loss of pigment only. There is no need to discard or scorn the persons afflicted with this disease. They should be treated with greater sympathy.
- Scratching, itching must be avoided. Any injury will give rise to new patch.
- Tight fittings which give marks on the skin, like elastic must be avoided which disturbs the skin blood circulation.
- Plastic and rubber wear should be avoided. Plastic Ornaments, Bindi or any Stickers on the skin should be avoided.
- Any eatable made of soda bi carb, stored sour things, tinned foods or drinks, pickles, chocolates, coffee or cocoa products, should not be taken.
- Avoid playing or swimming in the sun between 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.